Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review: Conviction




Director: Tony Goldwyn


Stars: Hilary Swank, Sam Rockwell and Melissa Leo


Genres: Drama


Release Date: 9 June 2011


Memorable quote:


Barry Scheck: This woman actually went to law school to save her brother?

















What?

First it is important to say that this is a true story. The movie shows us Betty Anne Waters, as we could say serious trailer trash material, a high school dropout who starts an impossible journey to save her brother from injustice done to him. Starting with a family and kids she slowly loses everything, sacrificing her husband and kids just to fight her way through law school to defend her bother and beat the system to get her brother out of jail.


Yes?


We have here a love story between a Brother and a Sister who would go to hell and back just to help each other. This could some story to show bad siblings, just to show them what others do for each other. The movie was good it kept the suspense, till the ending. It is a sad truth that we live in a time were the justice system isn’t bulletproof, and families need to pay such a high price for this. I believe Swank was perfect for this part, she always pulls it off to look real in the characters that she plays, and she gives everything for a part. Rockwell I actually haven’t seen so much, I just remembered him as the bad guy from the green mile so it was difficult to put him here, but he too was still good enough for this. The characters really made you feel for them and the story just swallows you inside the tragedy of a family who never actually got a chance to survive. Some things in the movie just looks to be unbelievable and then they look lucky, but this is only in the shadow of the cruel life they have gone through.


No?


This wasn’t my first choice when I went to the movies. Why? I wanted to watch something else, that’s why. But even after seeing the movie I still don’t feel that I did a wise choice. The movie didn’t prove to be enough, there was just something missing, even though I cannot put my finger on it. I wasn’t satisfied with the movie, there was nothing huge, and everything stayed small and meaningless. I guess that’s what happens with low budget movies.


Well…


This is probably the first time you hear of this movie, so if it is I wouldn’t recommend you to watch it. It isn’t a masterpiece in anyway, just something that filled my evening instead of going home. I must say Swank was good that’s why they get some points, besides that I hope I will not find myself in jail for something I didn’t do, since this just looked like a fairytale. Because of all the above I grade this one…


Grade: 6 out of 10


Mammoth


No comments:

Post a Comment