Sunday, June 19, 2011

Review: true grit


Directors: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen

Stars: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Hailee Steinfeld

Release Date: 17 February 2011

Genre: western, drama some action

Memorable quote:

Rooster Cogburn: We'll sleep here and follow in the morning.
Mattie Ross: But we promised to bury the poor soul inside!
Rooster Cogburn: Ground's too hard. Them men wanted a decent burial, they should have got themselves killed in summer.




What?

After the father of Mattie Ross gets killed, she decides to take matters in her own hands. It is said that this is a true story, but I must say I didn’t research this fact. So again after her father was killed by a ruthless killer and gangster she decides to start searching for a head hunter and put a price on the head of the killer. Of course dead or alive comes in handy. After finding the right US marshal head hunter pro, she gets on a journey to avenge her father’s death. Of course the Marshal doesn’t like the idea of a 13 year old girl coming along and he needs to play the babysitter!

Yes?

The Cohen brothers do things their own way, you like it or you don’t. I personally must say that I like it. They deliver the story packed with awesome dialogues and beautiful scenery. Like we see in “no country for old men” you need to focus on the right person, sometimes they make you believe that the main actor is not actually the leading character, I believe that this was also the case in true grit. Look at just the little girls she just steels the entire spotlight in every scene she’s in. I loved her. (In a legal way) She was so powerful; she just made the movie work. The story was nice, the characters where nice, she was amazing. The brothers have this strength where they look for all the details and they want everything to be perfect. And I believe they really pulled it off. This movie was really amazing in my eyes. Jeff bridges, Matt damon, Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Brolin these characters just made the movie work.

No?

I think the ending wasn’t as it should be. When I saw this I expected something else, but again maybe this, makes the movie so much a Cohen movie, where things are not as you expect they are going to be. Those movies are not for everyone, it’s easy the world is divided in those who like the Cohen movies and those that hate them; this movie was just not for everyone.

Well…

I liked the movie, especially because of the great acting that we saw here. I watched it and I would recommend people who like the Cohen brothers style also to watch it. So I like no country for old men, so I must say I liked this too. Because of all the above I grade this…

Grade: 7 out of 10

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment