Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: In Time


Director: Andrew Niccol

Stars: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried and Cillian Murphy

Genres: Action | Sci-Fi | Thriller

Release Date: 27 October 2011

Memorable quote:

Will Salas: For a few immortals to live, many people must die.




What?

We find ourselves in the future, but not the too distant one, people stop to age after 25, and there are no more dollars or euros or any other currency. People pay with time. The Phrase time is money has a different signification here or better said it is just literal. When you’re time is up you die, simple as it sounds. You pay for everything with time, meaning you go on a bus, supermarket or a movie; they just take away minutes, hours and seconds of your total living amount. This means that the poor have a day to day maybe two which means a constant struggle for survival and the rich stay immortal. After Will receives the gift of time, he is wrongfully accused of murder he tries to bring down the system that keeps the rich rich and the poor poor

Yes?

I know what you think, I thought the same thing the first time I saw the trailer, and this is some deep shit. Time is money etc. I must admit the idea is really great and only for this the movie gets a couple of points, but again is this enough? I think it lacked something, I just can’t put my finger on it.

I liked how they developed this small idea in to a full system where everyone is a piece from it, you have a couple of basic ground rules that keep the movie together and keeps the movie going, which again is really good.


We have Murphy here, the bad guy from the first batman, he was good, I liked him as the bad guy and he was a good choice for him. Seyfried was also good and she did play this little rich kid in a good and convincing way.



No?

I like good ideas, especially when they are in the science fiction section. But the basic concepts of science fiction need to be upheld at any costs. In this movie we find that we have rules and most of the time they are even followed but my big problem here is the beginning of the movie, the lack of explanation how mankind got to this amazing point where people won’t live past 25 and all what follows. Even when we deal in science fiction there need to be strong fundaments, and here we didn’t get any. We got here something like; it’s like that live with it, this is a major disappointment.

We talked about the good acting, well on the other hand we had Timberlake, I think he was just not convincing in some parts, especially when he needed to show emotion he didn’t convince me, maybe next time, no harm done.

But what annoyed me the most about this movie is the fact that they didn’t use the huge potential they had in their hands. The idea was great, but I believe such a movie, which includes so many, important issues especially nowadays should have done it better.

Well…

All in all this movies was lacking some wauw moments, nothing here made you sweat in your chair, even though the big picture here was nice and even interesting. You can watch this at home, no trip to the movies is necessary here. Because of all the above I grade this…

Grade: 6.5 out of 10

Mammoth

1 comment:

  1. Argh, I had a feeling Timberlake wouldn't be able to pull it off. It's a pity, because the concept was promising. Oh well, thank G-d for torrents...

    ReplyDelete