Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Review: Immortals


Director: Tarsem Singh

Stars: Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke and John Hurt

Genres: Action | Drama | Fantasy

Release Date:10 November 2011

Memorable quote:
Theseus: Stand your ground! Fight for order! Fight for the man beside you! Fight for those who bore you! Fight for your children! Fight for your future! Fight for your name to survive! Fight! For immortality!









What?
At the dawn of mankind, there was a War, the once who lost became the Titans who have been imprisoned in Mount Tartaros, the once who won became the Gods, to rule over the world from Heaven. Hyperion a Bloodthirsty king has declared war on Humanity and the gods who abandoned him in his time of need. The only way to defeat mankind is to obtain the ultimate weapon, the bow from Epirus, to unleash the Titans and destroy mankind forever. His rival: Theseus a simple man chosen by Zeus himself to lead the fight against Hyperion and to give mankind a fighting chance.

Yes?
I think an introduction is needed here, to explain my opinion about this movie. I like movies that show war, blood, swordfights and huge armies. This doesn’t make me cruel or Bloodthirsty, but this makes me a bit biased towards movies that contain all those features. So let’s take for example the movie 300, loved it, even though other critics hated it. So this is my opinion and that’s that.

This movie was a mix of action and cruelty and lots of it. You go from one fight to another; still being shocked by the flowing stream of blood the next already hits your face. The action scenes were just beautiful and the fighting choreography was amazing. I guess almost everything was made with the computer, but nevertheless, great.

I entered the theater and I got the 3D Glasses, I was afraid this was the Achilles heel of the movie, from now on it’s going to suck, but it didn’t the 3D was amazing, not that crappy “throw something at me” 3D, but the whole thing had this amazing depth, and it was just stunning. Then we had the slow motion parts, which are nowadays a mandatory device in action movies, we had a lot of them, loved every single frame!

I think the actors were chosen wisely, they gave a good and convincing performance. The best part of this was Rourke, as we saw him in the Wrestler, he is the symbol of “manhood”, he doesn’t care about his looks, he is cruel and indifferent to everything around him, and the cause is the only thing that matters. Killing or letting someone live just doesn’t matter. He was so evil that I just felt it in my bones.

The main thing here was that the movie wasn’t boring and entertaining, it wasn’t the quality of the story, but more the action scenes and effects that kept me watching it till the end.

No?
As I said just here above, it wasn’t the story that made this movie interesting it was the spectacle, and this is the main flaw of the movie, the lack of an interesting story. If it would have that the movie from my part would be perfect. That’s that.

Well…
So, we had here an entertaining movie, for people who like blood dripping and action scenes. People, who don’t like the things mentioned above, just won’t like the movie and will probably say that this is a waste of time. I liked it for the stuff it was great in, if you go for the blood and action watch it at the movies because this is the main part, if you don’t just don’t watch it at all. Because of all the above I grade this…

Grade: 8 out of 10

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment