Monday, April 11, 2011

review: Black Swan

director: Darren Aronofsky

release date: 20 January 2011

genre: thriller

casting: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and Vincent Cassel

memorable quote:

Nina Sayers: I was perfect...

What?

A ballet dancer is at her peek of her career when she is chosen to dance the white swan, which is perfect for her its suits her personality and style. The problem is, the person who dances the white swan needs also to dance the black swan. The black swan is the complete opposite of the white and collides with her character and nature. The black swan is vicious and brutal, everything she isn’t. Will she kill it, or will it destroy her?

Yes?

If you have been awake the last year for the Oscars you know that this movie got a couple of them, not to mention best picture and best actress. This should be enough reason to watch it, but as I always say seeing is believing, and here I saw and I couldn't believe it. The best actress was totally worth it, best picture I'm not that sure. For Portman the movie gives us the psychological holocaust that she is going through to master the vicious black swan. I must say she was amazing, the story wasn't spectacular but only satisfying. Kunis was gorgeous and she also stood her ground as supporting actress. You see the transformation that Portman undergoes, from one extreme to the other, and it shows you different stages in the middle, which was really interesting to see. The Soundtrack was amazing, and the filming was also really good, that's about it.

No?

As I said before good as a whole but no spectacular as it should be for best picture. The story was good, even scary which was nice, but this is a drawback, good but not spectacular. I also expected some major ending and even some sort of gigantic climax but what we got was a bit disappointing. The ending had just the flowe like the whole movie.

Well?

Watch it definitely, best picture not in my opinion. Best actress, of course without a doubt. I expected another something in the movie that wasn't there, but all in all good stuff. Because of all the above I grade this one...

8 out of 10

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment