Wednesday, April 13, 2011

review: The King's Speech

director: Tom Hooper

release date: 27 January 2011

genre: drama and some history I guess

casting: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter

memorable quote:

King George VI: Listen to me. Listen to me!!
Lionel Logue
: Listen to you? By what right?
King George VI
: By divine right if you must, I am your king.
Lionel Logue
: No you're not, you told me so yourself. You didn't want it. Why should I waste my time listening?
King George VI
: Because I have a right to be heard. I have a voice!
Lionel Logue
: [pauses] Yes, you do.

What?

We get here the story of King George VI, and the fabulous story of a man with no voice who becomes the strongest and most important voice in England during its hardest times. It also shows us the strength of friendship between a King and his unorthodox speech therapist, which together overcame one of the first battles of the Second World War

Yes?

First and foremost I need to give credit to the actors. Colin Firth and Geoffrey rush. Actually I didn’t know that Firth had it in him, I remember some stupid scenes from Bridget Jones diary, but here he earned his stripes. Then we have Geoffrey rush, I just love this guy, everything that he touches, or plays becomes gold, I think he was brilliant in this part. I also loved the story, it’s even cooler that there is a true story behind it. Of course we need to acknowledge that Firth received best actor for his role in this one, which again raises the level of the movie. I especially loved all the unorthodox methods of rush to get the king his voice back. Another beauty is the story that comes with the therapy the birth and growth of a strong friendship between the king and the therapist.


No?

You have some moments were just nothing happens, since it’s a drama I believe those moments are dangerous and you can easily lose your crowd in these difficult times.
Besides that no particular things disturbed me, maybe (nobody can change history) is the stupidity of the king’s brother, who was king and gave everything up for this woman)


Well?

Don’t watch it when you are tired it will brake you down and you’ll wake up the next morning on the sofa. It’s a fun movie to watch and a nice story. But it’s definitely worth watching, it won’t be a waste of time. Because of all the above I grade this one…


grade: 8 out of 10

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment