Monday, March 21, 2011

review: due date




director: Todd Phillips

release date: 2 December 2010

genre: comedy and some drama

casting: Robert Downey Jr., Zach Galifikanis and Michelle Monaghan

memorable quote: (gives you an idea about the whole movie)

Peter Highman: If I miss the birth of my own child, I'm gonna choke you out with your own scarf. Wrap that thing 'round your head, and choke you out.
Ethan Tremblay: Sounds a bit... drastic

What?
This movie puts together in a weird situation, two opposite characters. One is a serious businessman, a wife a job and a kid on the way. The second is a natural born trouble maker, who happens to sit behind our businessman. After being put on the no fly list because of a misunderstanding the two part on a trip, to. Get to LA before the due date of the wife. Getting to LA is one thing, but will they survive each other, that's the other thing!!

Yes?
I can give you two great comments on this one, funny and entertainment. I must say I found myself a couple of times laughing quite hard in front of this. The script is nothing to special, but what I liked the most is the combination of the actors, Downey is really good.
He totally plays this character as it should be. Well if he did it write Gali-(something) was even better, this childish stupidity that comes up all the time was great to see, sometimes a bit over the top but definitely funny to watch.

No?
This situation happened already in another movie, I'm not sure if you are familiar with the following movie but Sandra Bullock had once a crappy film called forces of nature, two total opposite strangers need to drive cross country to get to some even on time. I know this isn't exactly the same but there are a lot of similarities. Another thing, nobody is so stupid as this character, its so over the top that at a certain moment you can predict what his next stupid moves gonna be. There was nothing amazing in this movie, I expected much more, something like hangover meets a freaking car I don't know.

Well?
The casting was perfect, which gave this a necessary push, the script was nothing special and you could predict the next move sometimes. I know sometimes expectations can ruin movies, but sometimes expectations can bring it so much further. I was a bit disappointed. Because of all the above I grade this one...

Grade: 6.5 out of 10

mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment