Monday, September 20, 2010

Review : Robin hood


Director: Ridley Scott

Release Date: 13 May 2010

Genre : Action, adventure & Drama

Casting: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, William Hurt, Mark Strong

Memorable quote:

Prince John: [sarcastically] Would every man have a castle?
Robin Longstride: In England, every man's home *is* his castle.

What it’s all about:

Robin Longstride is an archer in the army of King Richard the Lion hearth. After the unexpected death of the king in the last battle of the Crusades, Robin Deserts the army accompanied by his fellow comrades, to start his own life after the war. During his journey home, he comes across a fallen soldier, who before his death makes robin take an oath to return his sword to his rightful owner , his father in Nottingham.

Why yes?

It’s not men in tights, I think that's a good start. I'm a big fan of the Kevin Costner version so I wasn't sure if a new version was necessary, what could it add to the almost perfect movie? The answer is simple, Ridley Scott is a awesome, Russell crow is awesome, so that's what we need to know. In fact I liked the story very much, it was refreshing to see history in another light. I liked the action scenes although a bit limited in number and intensity, or just longer, besides that great. Loved the beautiful landscapes If they are England at all , and his brothers in arms, were really awesome, sometimes even better than Robin itself.

Why not?

I don't know if you heard about it but there is another movie with Russel Crowe that received an Oscar many years ago, ah yes it’s called gladiator. I know there were many different things, but there were hell of a lot similarities, I just felt, same guy different war and cause. There was also a lot of time wasting which is a bummer since he could invest the wasted time in longer battles. The most important thing that was missing, was all the “take from the rich give to the poor” idea, I guess this part is for the sequel.

Well...

The actors rocked , ok not the evil guy but besides him. the story was good and refreshing, but a bit more action was needed on my part. I would watch it if you didn't have yet, it’s not more in the movies but rent it when it comes to DVD. Because of all that I grade this...

Grade: (7 out of 10)

Mammoth

2 comments:

  1. woooow...same rating as Salt?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will quote you: "I'm a big fan of the Kevin Costner version so I wasn't sure if a new version was necessary, what could it add to the almost perfect movie?" and I will add: "nothing"... I love Ridley Scott and I really like Russel Crowe but I think my love for Kevin Costner's Robin Hood wins

    ReplyDelete