Monday, September 6, 2010

Review : the karate Kid


Director: Harald Zwart

Release Date: 12 August 2010

Genre : Action, drama & sport

Casting: Jaden Smith, Jackie Chan

memorable quote:

Dre Parker: I get it. You're Yoda and I'm like a Jedi.


Mr. Han: Jacket on! Jacket off!

What it’s all about:

We have here the classic fight between good and evil. We could say between capitalism and communism, I’m not sure they thought of this particular context but it also works. Dre Parker a 12 year old boy, moves with his mum to China. The new environment and cultural differences cause problems between him and the school bullies, who kick his ass kungfu style. This continues till the shy handyman comes around and turns the game around. This so called handy man happens to know some bad ass kung-fu who becomes the little boys master against the evil forces of the dark side. The two forces will meet each other at a deadly kung fu tournament, who will break first? ( a bit exaggerating, still a bunch of kids!)

Why yes?

The Karate kid from 1984 was one of my childhood favourite movies. I was afraid this one was goanna ruin the classic. It didn’t. The story was preserved, I could even say exactly preserved, like a freaking dinosaur in a museum. It was refreshing and fun to watch. The fight scenes were nice (some great ass kicking) and the background footage was amazing. ( I guess China is beautiful). I also like the fact that there was some violence, yeah kids, but still those Chinese guys took it dam serious!

I liked mister Miyagi junior (Chan) he was fun to watch still not as good as the original but as I said before refreshing and I liked the fact that he was serious for ones without his stupid jokes all the time. What can I say about Smith, he is a natural, he follows his father and I see great things for this kid.

Why not?

Sometimes you come across a guy who wears a fake watch, its exactly the same and you wouldn’t see the difference, but still there is this annoying feeling of , seriously fake, dude? This is the same here, I loved the classic so much that every try to make it again is like the fake watch, it’s just icky. Then the other thing, what’s up with the name , karate kid. Has somebody seen karate, not even karate’s uncle was here, so calling this the karate kid when the whole movie is kung fu this is in my eyes kind of stupid.

Well...

I need to be honest, fake or not fake, remake or classic, it was a good and fun movie to watch. Chan and Smith deliver, even if compared to the original master and Daniel San. Go watch it not surely in the movie theater, but definitely somewhere. If this is the only thing left in the movies so yes you can buy a ticket. Because of all the above a grade this one...

Grade: (6,5 out of 10)

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment