Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Review : Prince of Persia

Director: Mike Newell

Release Date: 28 May 2010

Genre : Action , adventure & Fantasy

Casting: Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina

memorable quote:

Tamina: [as Dastan's leaving on his horse] So you're going to leave me here, in the middle of nowhere? Noble Dastan, abandoning a helpless woman in the wilderness! What does your precious honor have to say about that?

Prince Dastan: [returning] Give me the strength not to kill her.


What it’s all about:

Adopted by King Sharaman of Persia, Dastan becomes the young and brave Prince of Persia. His Brother Tus, the air to the throne orders an attack on the sacred city of Alamut. During the attack Dastan encounters the beautiful Princess Tamina (Nice!). Following the conquering of the city Dastan is accused of murder after the king dies a mysterious death. Tamina and Dastin flee the sacred city in order to prove Dastans innocence. Learning from Tamina the true motives behind Alamut's invasion, Dastan must go on a journey to stop a weapon of mass destruction (well not exactly, it’s kind of a time machine thingy) to fall in the hands of a known terrorist who is a serious power trip. (Ok, not a terrorist but still Persian, so make the connection)

Why yes?

Fun to watch, I give him that for starters. The action scenes were quite nice. The jumping around and stuff is not really my taste. Take a sword and start slashing up people. Of course it’s nice to watch but still. The sound and special effects were good, I like the sand – dagger- time machine thing scenes , you could even throw a couple of more in there. Gyllenhaal and Arterton, played their roles beautifully , they had we could say some chemistry between them. You had a couple of funny moments which I liked, but not too many.

Why not?

The first reaction I had was, oh pirates of the Caribbean but not. You see all the same elements, long time ago, swords, acrobatics, good looking guy ( I guess for the girls), good looking woman (well for the man). But still the magic and charm are missing which you have in the Pirates movie. You had couple of scenes that were not needed, you could just cut them out and you would just made the movie better. I don’t want to elaborate but just say ”Ostrich”, yeah freaking ostrich, I know a bit weird but ok. Sometimes you try to add comedy to a movie by adding a specific actor for the role, here we got Alfred Molina, for my taste a bit too much, jokes about taxes and big brother in the middle of ancient Persia, no not needed. Ben Kingsley, normally I’m a huge fan, but here he just doesn’t brings it enough. The final battle , if I may call it battle at all was way too easy, I could’ve done it and I’m not an acrobat or a freaking prince of Persia and the last scene , couldn’t you say anything really!!! (I don’t want to spoil , sorry)

Well...

You see it with your own eyes , there is more not than yes , so all in all a fun movie to watch, I wouldn’t leave the cinema, but I wouldn’t go for this one either. Watch it on DVD but on big screen so you get some of the special effects scenes how they should be shown. I didn’t play the game but from what I understood for all the game fans he could’ve stayed more on course that he had. Because of all that my grade will be...

Grade: (5 out of 10)

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment