Sunday, October 31, 2010

Review : RED


Director: Robert Schwentke

Release Date: 14 October 2010

Genre : action-comedy

Casting: Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, Mary-Louise Parker, Karl Urban

Memorable quote:

Marvin Boggs: Why are you trying to kill me?
Frank Moses: Look, why would I be trying to kill you?
Marvin Boggs: Because last time we met, I tried to kill you.
Frank Moses: That was a long time ago.
Marvin Boggs: Some people hold on to things like that.

What it’s all about: When a retired super black ops CIA agent with no life is wanted in a body bag, he recruits his old also retired cool freaky CIA friends to show the kids how it's done old school style. I know not very complicated but that resumes it in a few words. Oh, the super agent drags a pathetic woman with him in this nice mess. The old and restless are back!!

Why yes? The cast made me curious, without this special blend of old and talented I wouldn't pay a ticket at the movies for this. The action scenes were nice, the director invested in some big boom booms, and effects. Fight scenes were good and refreshing here and there you would even say : that's nice, but don't expect too much of this one. Willis and Urban have a nice old school fight scene with some nice punches. The cast, pure old school professionals, you can count on them to deliver their part, but of course if the script isn't the best thing even the best actors, which we had here can’t make the movie something special. All this with the big exception of our good and crazy friend John malkovich, this guy was just in the right time in the right place in this movie, he definitely saved this one, he is hilarious as he is fun to watch. Every scene where he was present, he puts a smile on your face.

Why not? It’s obvious that the script isn’t genius. When you make an action comedy it’s not even necessary. You don't need a good script to make it work, you need a couple of good jokes and some pretty faces and big guns. Of course this is quite an easy way to make a movie, but what do you want sometimes those make the big bucks at the end of the month. This one wasn't made in order to reinvent something just to fill the seats at the movies, which is exactly what it did, but in a cheap way. Another thing that starts bothering me, doesn't Hollywood has fresh actors to make new movies? Lately we get old and retired people who want to feel young again, I'm not sure the movie theatre is the stage for comebacks and high school reunions. But who cares I guess we don't have to wait too long till those movies will rest in peace . Morgan freeman, what can I say, I like him and I like him a lot, but here he was just in the background, I think you could used him much more.

Well...

The script was boring and cheap, the cast was expensive and exiting, I think this movie lacks originality and depth. I wouldn't watch it at the movies but wait till it comes home. Because of all this I grade this one, based a lot on respect for the cast...

Grade: (6,5 out of 10)

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment