Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Rise of the planet of the apes.

Director: Rupert Wyatt





Stars: James Franco, Andy Serkis and John Lithgow



Release Date: 11 August 2011



Genres: Action, Drama,Sci-Fi (I hope at least) and Thriller




Memorable quote:
Caesar: You know signs?
Maurice: Yes.
Maurice: I was circus orangutan.




What?
The father of Dr. Rodman is suffering from the Alzheimer disease. In a race against time Dr. Rodman tries to find a cure against the horrible disease. To find a cure for his father, different experiments are carried out on a chimp, which alters and genetically-enhances the intelligence of Ceaser a young ape that uses his new power to lead his fellow apes to freedom. Or at least he tries! ( a bit dry, but that’s the story)


Yes?
I watched the trailer as always for this movie, not one but all footage that came out online. I was afraid that it was going to ruin it for me but the opposite happened, it was awesome. The story was great, the effects even better.


A lot of time has passed since I have watched the original planet of the apes from 1968 but I think this movie could easily be a continuance to the original, as we like to call it “the beginning”.


Franco was good, he delivered his part even tough I belived in the beginning he wasn’t capabale of it, he turns out to be a great geek doctor. His father John Lithgow , even tough had only a couple of parts, was awesome. Last but not least we have Ceaser or better said Serkis, I’m not sure if everyone knows this but he is the figure behind King-Kong and Gollum in Lord of the rings, and here it was just spectacular, his moves were just amazing.

Serkis together with the beautiful effects were just great. No need for 3D crap or anything.
Another great thing is even though the apes are kicking the shit out of the humans, the viewer still feels in a weird way of compassion with them, this comes mainly through an amazing connection between the audience and Ceaser the baby chimp that grows older.




No?
Something that definitely bothered me was the division of the movie, the introduction, till the fight or great escape took almost the whole movie, I expected thing to happen faster, and that the escape would be the main part. But again the introduction was really good.


Maybe this is only me but I would love the movie to go further and longer than it actually did, it was quite short considering it was such a huge thing.



Well…
At the end of the movie they still leave an opening for an upcoming something, which was a nice touch, I liked it. If you haven’t watched it yet, go and watch it, at home or at the movies, it was fun and entertaining to watch. And probably tell will come a second one since it quite earned something. Because of all the above I grade this…



Grade: 8 out of 10



Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment