Saturday, December 11, 2010

Forgotten Hero: Independence Day

Director: Roland Emmerich

Release date: 9 august 1996

Genre: action, adventure and science fiction( alien style)

Casting: Will Smith, Bill Pullman , Jeff Goldblum

Memorable quote:

Albert Nimzicki: I'm not Jewish.
Julius Levinson: Well, nobody's perfect.

And

Russel Casse: All right, you alien assholes! In the words of my generation: Up Yours!

What? The question, if we are alone in the universe got answered! The problem is ET got a gun, and lots of them. They don't like us and they don't want us here. But we will not go down without a fight!

Yes? The year is 1996, I am 11 years old, my cousin decided we should go watch a movie, and he chooses the one with the scary aliens. I don't need to mention that I was awake that night fighting my imagination, but what is for sure this movie has raised the level of alien movies to a whole new level. The special effects were beautiful for this time. Action scenes where amazing. The story keeps you guessing till the end. The cast was perfectly assembled. And the gentle comedy makes you even laugh in the eyes of annihilation of the human race. I loved this film, I saw him at the movies, bought the VHS and later the DVD, that's how you should make an alien action movie.

No? Actually it’s quite difficult to find anything bad to say about this great movie, but since it’s not perfect we have some small things. The movie was quite long, not that I dislike long movies, but the moments that make the movie longer should be filled with needed material, for example, the presidents wife or the secretary of defense their roles where not needed. Another point, needed to add wasn't this movies fault but the circumstances around it, during this time great and awesome action movies came out like the rock( by the way another forgotten hero I might add) which made this action a bit less. But even so I think that's all.

Well? I can say that I love this movie. The story and actors made it became a hero, which again is important not to forget this one. Another interesting fact: this movie made an astonishing 800 million$ in gross income and stood at the top till Titanic swept the title away. Hero is a well deserved title for this one. Because of all the above I grade this one...

Grade: 8.5

1 comment: