Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Review: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows


Director: Guy Ritchie

Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Jared Harris

Genres: Action, Adventure , Crime , Mystery , Thriller (yeah you have all of those)

Release Date: 22 December 2011

Memorable quote:
Professor Moriaty: People have an innate desire for conflict. So what you are fighting is not me, but rather mankind. War, on an industrial scale, is inevitable. I'm just supplying the bullets and bandages.
&
Dr. John Watson: How many times are you going to kill my dog?




What?
This is one of those movies where it’s just impossible to write a good introduction. Everything you will say here will be a spoiler and you (if you haven’t watched it yet will regret reading this.) What I can say, is that we have here Sherlock Holmes and his Sidekick Watson who are fighting crime or better try to bring the evil mind Professor Moriaty to justice. I think this sums it all up.

Yes?
As always, the best reason to watch a sequence for a movie is the fact that the first one was a hit and that you just can’t wait for the second one to come out. You are excited and curious to watch what the people from the big studio have in mind here. Is this just a sequel for money, or is there actually something good here. My opinion of course is that this movie was great, I enjoyed myself watching it. The humor, the action and the curiosity for more made this movie awesome.
I’m sure a lot of movie reviewers will say:’ this movie just delivers cheap thrills and talks to the common people”, well believe it or not I am common and I never say no for cheap thrills, the only think I do expect is that they are done in a good and respectful manner, which they did.

Then we have the actors. Everyone knows, or at least should know that Robert Downey Junior and Jude law are good actors. The beauty here is that they are even better together; they just complete each other in this movie. The simple fact of Downey being the loose and crazy cannon and Watson the “boy scout” makes them a perfect duo. They give the movie this perfect sense of “Brotherly love” of course in a weird way. They have a perfect Love/Hate relationship which is just funny to watch.

Another worthy thing to mention is the evil persona; Professor Moriaty is just the perfect adversary for Holmes. He is smart as he is evil and of course this is a scary combination.

The director wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty; taking out “key” players in the movie is a virtue that not everyone has. He just has the “cohones” (translated in to balls) to pull this off.

I just bother to mention the special effects and the slow motions here because they are beautiful even though a bit too much for my taste.

No?
As I said above, even if something is good, don’t overdo it. The slow motion worked perfectly in the forest scene and maybe in a couple of other places, but don’t use it in every scene. We know that Sherlock likes to plan his moves ahead, but we don’t always need to see this upfront. Of course it has to do with the weird “checkers” theme of the movie, wherein every smart person sees and plans his moves ahead and the smarter person does this even further, but too much is too much.

Characters are something good in a movie when they have a good reason to be there, but when they are just there to connect between different scenes, this is just a sign of lack of creativity, try to make the story smoother without always adding another useless character.

Well…
I loved the movie, and I will also watch the sequence, which will come certainly. I hope it will then give me all the thrills that it gave me this time. I know action comedies are the easiest to make, but this one had so much more, and I would recommend you to watch it if you haven’t yet. Because of all the above I grade this…

Grade: 8.5 out of 10

Mammoth

No comments:

Post a Comment